How many of us have ever found ourselves waking up groggy-eyed and lethargic? Or gotten that 2pm slump where we feel that we couldn't possibly keep our eyes open and continue on with our work?
Well, I'm sure we've all been there. And fortunately, there are some pretty simple steps we can take to make sure we're feeling energized and ready to go, no matter the time of day.
5 Simple Steps to Get More Energy
- Go to bed and get up at the same time everyday. Yes, and that means weekends too. Maintaining a consistent circadian rhythm keeps our bodies from getting confused and keeps our energy/sleep hormones stable.
- Keep your blood sugar stable. Eat at regular meal times and focus on getting 20-30g of protein and 5-10g of fiber at each meal, especially at breakfast. Blood sugar crashes will tank energy levels, especially causing that afternoon slump. Stay away from sugar and refined carbs if you have trouble with low energy after meals.
- Move! Exercise gets the blood moving, improves digestion and increases focus. Try to get in a quick walk first thing in the morning and after lunch.
- Stay hydrated. Dehydration can sneak up on us quickly, especially if we're just sitting around and don't feel "thirsty". Make sure you drink filtered water and add some electrolytes, such as sea salt or a hydration powder, to make sure your cells absorb the water.
- Drink your mushrooms and wellness teas! Functional mushrooms and certain herbs can act as adaptogens to balance hormones, increase blood flow and improve cognitive and athletic performance. Add some mushroom extracts to your morning coffee or try some ginger tea in the afternoon for a caffeine-free pick me up.
These are just a few tips to help keep energy levels up, and though some might seem difficult to include in your daily lifestyle, start small and take time to build up the healthy habits!